- Please RSVP with the contact Training leader to aid in planning.
- Check out a suggested gear list for an idea of what to bring on a snow training.
- For insurance purposes, every participant of a TNSAR training must sign on for a civil defense card issued through the Office of Emergency Services (OES). Placer County is the local issuing agency for the card; if you need to sign on please call the sheriff's substation in Tahoe City for more information. Members of other Search and Rescue Teams (with current California State OES Card) may be welcome; please check with the training leader.
- A nice training refresh is Randall's Map and Compass presentation, which you can find here.
- If you provide a training, or otherwise require a reimbursement from TNSAR (for lunch subsidy, equipment purchase, etc), please use this form for reimbursement.
- For training leaders, please fax a training log to Katrina Kane at 530.889.7866 after each training.
- The TNSAR garage is located at 223 Fairway Drive in Tahoe City, next to the Tahoe City Fire Department. OCTOBER 18 (Sat) -- CALIFORNIA AVALANCHE WORKSHOP
- Where: South Lake Tahoe, CA
- When: 9:00am LTCC Board Room
- Contact: Jeff DeVries (use current callout list for phone #)
- Where: Squaw Valley Fire
- When: 8am Squaw Valley Fire
- Contact: Steve Reynaud (use current callout list for phone #)
- Where: Powderhorn Creek/Barker Pass
- When: 8:00am Team Garage
- Contact: Paul Cushing (use current callout list for phone #)
- Where: TBD
- When: 8am Team Garage
- Contact: Erin Reading ; Jessica Berney (use current callout list for phone #)
- Where: Alpine Meadows
- When: 8am Team Garage
- Contact: Joe Pace (use current callout list for phone #)
|The California Avalanche Workshop is a pre-season gathering of snow travelers to share knowledge, learn, laugh, and network. This seminar is modeled after the International Snow Science Workshop and other regional one-day snow and avalanche workshops throughout the west. It will feature a variety of speakers in the morning, then break for lunch (on your own) and return for additional speakers in the afternoon.
Register Online: https://register.asapconnected.com/EventDetail.aspx?pk=334074
OCTOBER 25 (Sat) -- WILDERNESS FIRST AID COURSE
|The Team will be hosting a private Wilderness First Aid Course the weekend of 10/25-10/26, 8am-4pm. Sign ups will be first come first serve with priority given to A team/B team/ and then team members. A fully refundable deposit of $150 will be needed to hold your spot on the course. Deposit checks can be mailed to Steve Reynaud, PO Box 1976, Truckee, CA 96160. Checks made out to TNSAR.|
NOVEMBER 1 (Sat) -- FIELD COMM DAY
|Paul will lead us on a hike on Little and Big Powderhorn Creek from Barker Pass. We will be practicing with the portable repeater, radios and gps. Plan for a full day with 8-10 miles of hiking. Contact Paul for more info.|
NOVEMBER 4 (Tue) -- MID-WEEK TRAINING POTPOURRI
|Prepare for a full day of hiking with training activities interspersed. Expect surprise scenarios, off trail navigation, and scavenger hunt prizes. Bring GPS, compass, first aid kit, and beacon. Maps will be provided.|
NOVEMBER 8 (Sat) -- ALPINE TO TWIN PEAKS-TERRAIN FAMILIARZATION
|Join Joe for a fun filled day hiking on the PCT trail from Alpine to Twin Peaks and beyond. This terrain is prime time search terrain for the team in the winter and summer months. Call Joe for more info.|
Training is an essential part of the Team's activities--new skills are learned, old skills honed, dormant skills rewakened. Please arrive at the garage ready to depart. Noted times are for departure. Be sure to come to the Team trainings equipped with personal gear--specialized equipment can be borrowed from the Team truck. The Team Garage is located at 223 Fairway Drive, Tahoe City behind the Chevron Station.